Local and international designers are invited to reimagine Sydney at Christmas with a callout for creative agencies to help shape the design of Sydney Christmases yet to come.
Designs include a stunning new Christmas tree for Martin Place and decorations, artworks and events that will transform the new pedestrian sections of George Street and attract thousands more families and shoppers to the city centre.
Lord Mayor Clover Moore said the callout was a fantastic opportunity for artists, creative agencies, designers and architects to reimagine Sydney’s Christmas and create an exciting, festive atmosphere in the heart of the city.
“With colourful lights, projections, carols, performances and interactive treats, our Sydney Christmas program entertains and delights thousands of visitors during one of the most celebrated times of the year,” the Lord Mayor said.
“This is a great opportunity to make the most of our city’s stunning landscape and climate and create a unique Sydney Christmas experience with lights, decorations and installations that shoppers, families and locals will enjoy.”
The City is looking for ideas for 2017-2022 that propose an array of visual technologies or techniques in various Sydney locations that will attract and delight audiences and passers-by.
Locations for Sydney Christmas events include Martin Place, Hyde Park, Customs House Square, Town Hall, Taylor Square, Kings Cross and Pyrmont.
Expressions of interest will be assessed on ideas that:
- Create a visual, festive impact throughout the city;
- Include shapes, colour and/or concepts that are of scale and world-leading in design;
- Capture international attention;
- Are interactive and participatory;
- Consider contemporary and traditional elements of Christmas;
- Have equal impact during the day and at night; and
- Incorporate new or existing technology.
The schedule for the City’s new five-year program will involve Martin Place Christmas tree, George Street and Taylor Square, Pitt Street Mall, Green Square, Village locations and other activities, expansion of the decorative program and expansion of creative elements at all locations.
Expressions of interest are open from Tuesday 15 March until Tuesday 10 May 2016.
The City’s Sydney Christmas program runs for five weeks during November and December and includes:
- Concerts, installations, lighting, projections, decorations and shopping promotions
- Corporate and partnership activations in the public domain such as Pitt Street Mall, Martin Place or George Street.
- Ten City-produced events including concerts and choir performances
- A program of more than 100 associated Christmas events presented by city retailers, cultural institution and other event producers.