Table of Contents
iPhone and iPad users can hide apps that were purchased or downloaded from the App Store of iOS. By hiding an app in the App Store, it will not appear in the App Store updates section, and it will not appear to have been downloaded before.
Likewise, iPhone and iPad users can also unhide any previously hidden purchased app from the iOS App Store again, thereby regaining access to download the app and having it appear in the App Store as usual again.
Note this is hiding a downloaded or purchased app from the App Store, which is not the same as hiding apps from showing on the iOS devicescreen, nor is it the same as uninstalling and deleting apps from iOS. Hiding a purchased or downloaded app does not delete it from the device it was downloaded to, though you can certainly do that if you want to as well. Likewise, unhiding a previously hidden app does delete it or remove it, though to unhide the app you will download it again to the iOS device. Read on below to see how to both hide an iOS app and unhide an iOS app from the App Store.
How to Hide Purchased / Downloaded iOS Apps in App Store
Here is how you can hide an app from the App Store on iPhone or iPad:
- Open the App Store app
- Tap on the “Today” tab at the bottom of the screen (you can also tap on ‘Updates’)
- In the upper right corner of the screen, tap on your profile avatar logo
- Tap on “Purchased”
- Locate the app you want to hide, then swipe left on it
- Tap on the red “Hide” button that appears next to the app name
- Repeat with other apps to hide from the purchased App Store list if desired
Of course if you have hidden an app from the App Store in iOS, you may wish to unhide the app sometime down the road so that you can access and download it again via the App Store on iPhone or iPad again. Here is how you can do that.
How to Unhide Apps from App Store Purchases in iOS
- Open the App Store if you have not done so already
- Tap on the ‘Today’ or “Update” tab at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on your profile avatar picture as found in the upper right corner of the screen
- Tap on your Apple ID, then sign in with the Apple ID password
- Scroll down and tap on “Hidden Purchases”
- Find the app you want to re-download, then tap the download button cloud arrow button
The ability to both hide and unhide apps from the App Store of iOS has been around for quite some time, but like many other features of iOS they have evolved over the years and the process is now a little bit different now then it was from before with earlier versions of the iOS software for iPhone and iPad.
Both hiding and unhiding apps that have been downloaded for free or purchased can be very useful for many reasons. Maybe you want to hide an app so that you stop using it or you are not tempted to download it again, or maybe you want to hide a particular app because it’s confusing with another one. Or if you’re a parent, perhaps you want to hide an app so that your child can’t download it. Administrators and those who manage public iOS devices also can have obvious use cases with this feature. And similarly, the ability to unhide apps that have been downloaded or purchased form the iOS App Store is equally important, just in case you need to access those apps again for whatever reason.